10/05/2006

To Venita, myself, and anyone else

I want you to tell me this, "I am not going to grad school because I know Heavenly Father doesn't want me to go." I don't want you to say you're not going just because things aren't working out. Sometimes it's good to feel like a failure so you can try harder. Take me for example. I had to learn that I'm failing 2 of my 6 classes before I got my head on straight this semester. Now I am determined to work harder to get my assignments done on time. Failure can bring determination. If you want something and it feels right go for it. Don't tell me you're going to stop reaching for your goal because things haven't worked out at the time you wanted them to. I understand; however, that if you truly don't have a good feeling about it then don't do it. Sometime good things can bring fear though. You just need to distinguish what kind of fear or confusion you're feeling. In fact, the first time Joseph Smith saw Moroni, he was scared. But he quickly got over that fear. Sometime in our inadequacy to identify good from bad, we get scared. Don't be scared. Do what YOU feel is right. You're the person who knows you best and knows what is best for you. Believe.

3 comments:

Kate said...

but most of all Venita... either way your life will turn out good. Trust your gut... with the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Ch. 4 in Preach my Gospel helped me out when trying to decided what I should do. :) Good luck!

Kami said...

Interesting how life works. Here's a quote my teacher sent me today...
God's ways of educating our desires are, of course, always the most perfect. . . . And what is God's way? Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we wanted them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come. In nature we have our seedtime and harvest; and if children were taught that the desires that they sow may be reaped by and by through patience and labor, they will learn to appreciate whenever a long-looked-for goal has been reached. Nature resists us and keeps admonishing us to wait; indeed, we are compelled to wait. [GospelDoctines, pp. 297¬98]

Anonymous said...

Kami, I am not going to grad school right now because Heavenly Father doesn't want me to. In a way, things not working out, is how I know if it is the will of God or not. If He does not want it to happen it doesn't, but if he does, everything goes smoothly. This is how I have received so many answers in the past. For instance, coming on a mission, within a week of that decision all of my papers were filled out and ready to go, when it usually takes three months for others to get ready. That was a strong sigh that that was what I was supposed to do. When it came to grad papers, things just didn't work out. I didn't have time or when I did, I was way too distracted and nothing got done. It was as if there was something redirecting my thoughts. I really appriciate your help and encouragement. Reading what you wrote today helped me to think and really decide if it was God's will or if I simply hadn't given enough to obtain my goal. I am not going to grad school because I am not supposed to. I will find something else to do with myself after the mission. I don't know what, where, why, or when. But it will all work out the way it is supposed to, the way Heavenly Father wants it to. I have accepted that I am not going to grad school right now, however, I still have hope for the future! But until that time, I will keep trying to decipher what is written on my own personal liahona.