12/05/2006

Fun Fact--I'm so interested!

The QWERTY keyboard layout was devised in the 1860s by Christopher Sholes, a newspaper editor who lived in Milwaukee, who was also the creator of the first modern typewriter. Originally, the characters on the typewriters he invented were arranged alphabetically, set on the end of a metal bar which struck the paper when its key was pressed. However, once an operator had learned to type at speed, the bars attached to letters that lay close together on the keyboard became entangled with one another, forcing the typist to manually unstick the typebars, and also frequently blotting the document. Sholes decided that the best way out of the difficulty was to find out which letters were most used in the English language, and then to re-site them on the keyboard as far from each other as possible. This had the effect of reducing the speed, and, by doing so, lessened the chance of clashing type bars. In this way was born the QWERTY keyboard, named after the first six letters on the top line.

3 comments:

Kami said...

Where have all the people gone...this reminds me of the night of Halloween and I was so tired and all alone. I ditched out on the party cuz I had homework and I was tired. Well I started playing with my phone and I began making "Voice Memos." I was getting delirious and I couldn't stop making memos cuz I just loved hearing my voice. It was like a new discovery: I had a voice. Then I laughed and laughed because I was alone and in total amazement of my voice. I knew I was being silly but I couldn't stop...it was an addiction. And now today I don't want to do homework so I keep posting comments on my own blog because it's entertaining.

Koichi Yasuoka said...

Most frequently used letter-pair in the English language is "th", which is placed adjacently in the QWERTY keyboard. The second is "er" + "re", also placed neighbor. Your explanation about the history of QWERTY seems something wrong. Please see my blog for details.

Kami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.